I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself so that you can determine whether subscribing to me will be
My first job was in a K-12 district of about 1,200 students. I was the sole teacher for the gifted program, with students in grades 1-8. I had to help rebuild the program after a hiatus due to budget cuts. As a first year teacher, I found this quite challenging. Luckily, I had been the product of a stellar gifted program throughout my own public school education, and I relied heavily on those previous experiences as well as my previous teachers. I worked with an amazing group of kids. I felt like I was able to foster growth in them throughout that time. However, the
I am now a proud member of a school district of over 7,700 students. I've had a wide variety of experiences during my last three years. I began in a well-established gifted program teaching 3rd & 4th grade students. I was able to begin a journey into having a technology-filled, student-centered classroom. After a great year filled with supportive administrators, teaching partners, parents, and students, budget cuts were passed down. I was told, "You have a job, but..."
I ended up teaching 5th grade in a school with a population of 250 kids, 87.5% of whom qualify for free and reduced lunch. I speculate that a majority of the remaining 12.5% would qualify as well,
In the spring of that year, with only a couple weeks of school left, our community suffered Missouri's strongest tornado in almost 50 years. An EF-5 tornado swept through town destroying and damaging so much, including my school building. I lost nearly everything in my classroom. I spent the entire summer rebuilding what I could through the help of people from all over the country. When school began, I was set up in a
One week after school began, I started with a new groups of students across town. I was now in a building of 600 students with 57% qualifying for free and reduced lunch. I was dealing with a whole different element here. I now had three teaching partners and 21 kiddos with much more diverse home lives. I spent the year working on rigorous and relevant instruction with an emphasis on relationship building. I continued to incorporate technology in my daily lessons using my 2-1 student to computer ratio. I grew as an educator in my ability to bring depth, not width, for all of my students to my instruction.
As I face a new school year, I plan to start implementing the "flipped classroom" model of instruction. I am hoping to share this journey with readers who are eager to learn with me, or to share based on their experiences. I hope that,